Colonial Beach Celebrating Signature Bird at 1ST Annual Osprey Festival
Osprey Mecca, Bird Sanctuary in Northern Neck, Virginia
Colonial, Beach, VA…Bird Sanctuary and osprey mecca, Colonial Beach, VA, gateway to Virginia’s Northern Neck, will be holding its first annual “Osprey Festival”, the weekend of April 12 – 14, to celebrate its signature bird, other local birdlife, and the area’s abundant natural resources. The festival is sponsored by Downtown Colonial Beach, Inc. with support from the Northern Neck Chapter of the National Audubon Society, the Town of Colonial Beach, Town businesses and non-profits. Downtown Colonial Beach, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) dedicated to preservation-based revitalization of this historic waterfront community.
The weekend event begins Friday, April 12, at 10 am and runs through Sunday, April 14. Activities take place throughout the Town of Colonial Beach and nearby state parks including:
- Guide-led bird walks, bus and golf cart tours to view osprey nests
- Guided Eagle Walk
- Owl Tour
- Bird talks by regional experts on bird life and conservation
- Bird-themed Art Walk
- “Cock”tail hours, Early “Bird,” “Osprey” and “Featherweight” specials at local restaurants and pubs
- Bird-related scavenger hunts, with prizes including a hotel stay and dining package
- Children’s activities including crafts and a story hour on ospreys
- Bird-related organizational exhibits
- Citizen Science presentation
- Workshops on attracting birds to your backyard using native plants, building houses for the Virginia blue birds and how to build a proper platform to entice the ospreys to nest
- Native plant sale
- “Grand Ole O’spry Concert” featuring music from the Big Gavel Band
Some events are free and others require tickets, which can be purchased at www.downtowncolonialbeach.org. Regular prices are $15 for an Osprey Ticket (Single Adult) and $20 for a Full Nest (Couple or Family). Early Bird tickets are available in advance at Colonial Beach retailers for $10/$15 through March 31.
For a schedule of events and more information about the Osprey Festival, visit www.downtowncolonialbeach.org or contact Joyce Reimherr, festival coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-758-9493.