Virginia State Police advise motorists to stay off the highways as VDOT crews continue to treat and clear highways in the Metro-Richmond regions. Virginia State Police troopers have remained busy responding to calls of service throughout the Division 1-Richmond (Metro Richmond/Northern Neck/Tri-Cities) area. There has been no reported traffic fatalities, and the majority of traffic crashes have only involved damage to vehicles.
From 5:00 p.m. Saturday (Jan. 12) through 8:00 a.m. Sunday (Jan. 13):
Division I–Richmond (Metro Richmond/Northern Neck/Tri-Cities)
Total VSP emergency calls for service responded to: 137
We want to remind Virginians to please call 511 or go to www.511virginia.or for road conditions and not 911 or #77. We need to keep emergency lines open for emergency calls.
We are asking Virginians to delay their travel until later today. But, if you MUST travel…then please take the following safety precautions:
- Clear off ALL snow and ice from your vehicle – windows, roof, trunk and lights…and use your
headlights to make yourself more visible
- Add extra time to reach travel destination
- Slow speed for road conditions
- Increase driving distances between vehicles for increased stopping distance
- Buckle up and don’t drive distracted
- MOVE OVER for all stopped emergency vehicles, highway vehicles and tow trucks.
Press Release Provided by: Virginia State Police Division One Public Information Officer Sergeant Keeli L. Hill